Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Asparagus and other signs of Spring...


As a lucky few of our Buying Club members know, the first asparagus is in – a full two weeks before we saw any last year. On the right, a picture of the way asparagus grows – right out of the ground like some greens-fairy has come along and planted them there. We hope to have lots of asparagus to sell at the WIS market, April 18.



Another sign of Spring is the first Mennonite market. I was so happy to be back in the (now expanded) barn this last Tuesday, filled with the most amazing array of bedding plants. We bought enough started broccoli to feed Napoleon’s army (see our car) thoughI did not get any of the hanging baskets I came for (for me!) – by the time they got down to a price I liked -- Nick had filled the car with the aforementioned broccoli plants. He also got some rhubarb plants from 70 year old cuttings.

And though I don’t really like to take pictures at the auction – these may be the last unspoiled plain folk in the US -- I fell in love with the girls in these pictures, and I am sharing them only in the hope and expectation (in the words of former Majority Leader Mitchell) that none of you will see this incredible time warp place as an opportunity to introduce a shoe outlet mall or multi-media “life of the Mennonites” event (I never recovered from my one trip out to see the Pennsylvanian Dutch)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment