Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving on Green Fence Farm

Reviewing my annual list of things in my life for which I am thankful, Green Fence Farm sits near the top. While I love the farm, this has more to do with our friendly proprietors. Some of us are lucky enough to be born into strong and wonderful families. Some of us aren't. In either case, family is what we make of it. Kate and Nick are builders. They have built this farm, but it is really so much more than a farm. Starting with a strong foundation, they have built a huge extended family; we are blessed to be members.

Don and I have spent all but one of the last fifteen Thanksgivings with Kate and her family (maybe more but I have lost count). This is the third Thanksgiving on the farm and it reminds us of our many blessings. One cannot help but feel fortunate when taking in the beauty of the land and the warmth of the friendship. While my list of blessings is too long for this blog, here are some we might share:
  • I am thankful for Kate's health this year and her boundless energy to make this family and farm work.
  • I am thankful that Kate and Nick have brought the farm to us in the city, making us healthier and happier (if not a little guilty when I can't figure out what to do with everything in our share).
  • I am thankful for the pasture raised turkey. (Rumor has it that many of you could be thankful for this next year. Start your lobbying now, because it is pretty wonderful.)
  • I am thankful for fresh brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, straight from the garden.
  • I am thankful for shearing day and the celebration! (your loss if you missed it; it was great.)
I am thankful as well for the three people who have asked Kate, "what has happened to your blog?" I have been a little busy this fall, but I have a few things I will be posting soon. If you are worried, please send your recipes to keep the blog alive.

Happy Thanksgiving!



1 comment:

  1. That's the nicest thing I ever read! It made me cry!
    On a much less eloquent note, I am thankful to have a friend like Sarah who has brought the pies to the last 15 Thanksgivings (are you sure it is not more? I remember Sarah being at a Thanksgiving we held before Don) and Christmas and Nick and my wedding (instead of cake, much better than cake). Everyone nees a pie buddy....and her family isn't that shabby either).
    I am also thanksful that Don was there to cook the 2 million hamburgers for those of you who did show up for the shearing.

    ReplyDelete