Saturday, March 6, 2010

Guinea Hens, mmmmmm



OK, I know I promised to post Guinea fowl/hen recipes here soon, but I was waiting to fix my favorite recipe and remember not to eat it before I took pictures. For the record here’s the recipe,
Roasted Guinea Hen with Whole Grain Mustard and Herbs.

And the reason I haven’t made it yet to photograph is that all my potatoes are at the farm and I am in DC. One of the best things about this recipe is the potatoes roasted along with the Guinea, crispy and tasting of hen and butter. I sometimes take the birds out of the pan to sit and settle a bit and put the potatoes back in the oven for a little more crisping.

In any case, I knew it was time to post this recipe when I got a call from Nick this morning saying he had “looked through the blog and couldn’t find the guinea hen recipes.” This is unprecedented – Nick does not cook or read recipes (or follow instructions of any kind), and Nick does not read our blog or website (his comments: “that looks like OUR Thanksgiving turkey on there”). He had, however, promised a couple of potential buyers that, if they took our hens, he could tell them, in a nice way, what to do with them. So here you go, potential buyers – get your checkbooks out!


And in searching for a picture of a cooked yet uneaten Guinea hen, I found this post on Principia Gastronomica that describes the care of taste of these birds much more succinctly than I.

I know some of our Buying Club members have bought Guinea fowl, and if you have done something with them besides curse the space they are taking up in your freezer, please post your ideas here – or email them to me with pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment